With the possible exception of overall marketing, search engine optimization is probably the topic most written and speculated about online. Carefully guarded by the search engines themselves, and changing all the time, there is clearly an evolution taking place that includes social media and attempts to interpret what we’re looking for beyond the keywords we actually use to search. (Read more about Google’s Semantic Search here).
The best overall advice I can provide is to think organically – and remember what a web looks like: the more connections you have, the stronger and more staying power you have (why do you think we picked this as part of our logo).
Basic SEO tips:
- Consider the search engines as well as name recognition as you choose your domain
- Add links to (and from) your blog/website everywhere you can – this should include all your social media pages, your email signatures, blogs you comment or guest post on, and all printed media – anywhere you can
- Use alternate text for all images to increase keyword density (as well as keeping your site available for the site impaired)
- Create listings and submit your website with all the search engines: Yext or getlisted.org
- Keep information current – blog posts are a great way to do this
- Add (valuable) resources
Google Adwords Keyword Tool – free tool to research Google keyword usage
Leave a Reply